FYI: Voyage Plan Documents and Collections

Yes, this is not very discoverable yet, but there is a way. At the top of the Voyage Plan > Files page you will see information about the current collection. Tap on that to select the collection and an Edit option will appear. Tap Edit to get to where you can rename the collection, give it a description, or delete it.

I was able to import my .nob file from my OneDrive cloud account. This Voyage Plan doc has 102 routes and about 50 marks that show on CE Windows. On my iPad I have all my routes correctly listed, but nothing under Marks. Not sure if this is a bug or if there is something I need to do to segregate Marks from my .nob file.

I see the ‘yet’ so it sounds like you plan to expose options. I suggest that as per usual iOS ui conventions user should be able to slide a collection left and see those edit options inline.

You shouldn’t have to do anything extra, but I’m not sure why your marks wouldn’t appear. If you’re willing to email your voyage plan doc to beta@rosepoint.com we’ll figure out what’s going on though.

That’s part of the plan… For now, we are just trying to get everything to work and be as similar to Coastal Explorer V4 as possible. After that we will spend some time tweaking things to be more iPad and iPhone-like.

1 Like

@rcassano Thanks for sending in your file! It appears the import did include all of your marks, but there was one range/bearing line that didn’t actually have its end points and that was causing a problem when Coastal Explorer tried to show the list. We’ve fixed this for the next build.

Build 42 did fix displaying boundaries correctly and I now have all my Marks listed as they are in CE Windows. Confirmed.

It seems reasonable to be able to view more than one collection at once. The notion of only one active collection seems tied into UI shortcomings (lack of ability to edit collections via line and need to go through active collection to edit) than any objective reason. If I have marks in a collection and routes in another I should be able to view both.

After importing a gpx file with waypoints and tracks into a collection I can see both on the map. However while waypoints show up as marks in Voyage Plan tracks are nowhere to be found.

I am able to access individual track properties by tapping track.

Tracks (and Events) are listed in the Ship’s Log. Are they not appearing there for you?

After my iPhone was synced from my iPad each collection had ‘imported from tacked onto front. This isn’t typical behavior and really isn’t synced as in title should be the same. Great that entity is identified by a token rather than name. Synced to me implies name and content should be synchronized across devices verbatim.

Thanks Brad. They do appear in ships log. I am used to treating routes and tracks in many ways as commensurate as in I follow both using my Garmin GPSmap78sc. I can see why they may be separated as they are yet I would have both tracks and places along with Files:Routes:Marks which appear under Voyage Plan. How different are marks and places? How different are routes and tracks? It would seem I can’t activate a track. Can I convert it to a route? OK … I see that in track props the ‘More’ button is missing where I can convert tracks to routes in Windows. But really I would like to just activate a track like a route. Looking at .nob I see difference in syntax/schema between the two. Couldn’t they just be the same with optional fields? Sorry I’m just looking for simplicity in use and interface and well less UI real estate.

1 Like

Suggestion: (using Build 49), I don’t see an easy way to create a backup for a Collection. Would it be possible to add a button that is specifically for backing up the current collection? In Windows CE I used “save as” and made another copy of my Voyage Plan to a thumb drive. Will this be added to the iPad version? if so, that would work.