Apple announcement regarding MasOS

Tim Cook’s announcement at the 22 June 2020 AppleFest leads to interesting speculation for us Mac users along two different lines of thought. In case you missed it, Tim Cook announced that Apple is designing future Mac Computers to replace Intel chips with ARM based chips, as found in iPhones & iPads. This will lead to the entire MAC line using some variation of what is now the iPad/iPhone operating system. The language of the announcement leaves some wiggle room in all of this.

This leads to two (or more!) lines of thought.

1. Base Camp, which allows me to run CE on My Mac which is running Windows, is likely dead. But wait, Microsoft has already rolled out Windows for ARM.
  2. Rosepoint’s iPad App will run on future Macs?
    This is getting interesting.
    Here’s a link to the announcement. Apple announces Mac transition to Apple silicon - Apple
1 Like

New ARM based Macs will not support windows through boot camp. Ultimately, Apple is going back to being proprietary. The Intel based processors have caused a ton of money to flow out and Apple is trying to remedy this.

This seems to answer at least one of your questions:

“Apple’s VP of tools and frameworks, Andreas Wendker, mentioned almost as an afterthought that new Macs with Apple-designed chips would be able to run iPhone and iPad apps natively. Without modifications.

This was a bombshell. He quickly ran through a few examples of apps written for iPhone or iMac that Apple was running on prototypes of the next-gen Macs, including a game, a guitar tutorial, and a meditation app. When running on one of the upcoming Apple Silicon Macs, all of those, to use a term Apple loves, simply worked.”
From Steven Levy, Wired Magazine

Virtualization:: I fully expect that Apple and the developers like VMWare and Parallels and Oracle will provide a way to run most any OS on MacOS 11+ and Apple-silicon. In the near term the Rosetta 2 environment apparently will not support the current generation of virtualization apps but in this day and age there is no excuse not to enable powerful virtualization. It would not be in Apples long term interest to cripple developers by not supporting the ability run most any and all OS on top of their HardWare/Software.