Apple Silicon Macs

Apple Silicon Macs were released recently and so far the reviews have been impressive. I received one a few days ago and so far so good. Any plans to allow Coastal Explorer to run on Apple Silicon Macs?

Just an FYI for anyone else considering one of the new Macs. I’ve always preferred laptops form factor but been torn between a laptop an iPad for years. I was hoping to be able to install most if not all iOS apps. I haven’t spent a lot of time but it’s not as easy as I expected.

Hi @jeremy_s,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry about the delay from the holiday weekend. Let me see what I can find out about CE on Apple Silicon Macs!

Best,
Zach

Hi @jeremy_s,

Due to the M1 based Macs being so new to market, our developers do not yet have a definitive plan for producing a MacOS version of Coastal Explorer, but it is under consideration.

If you have any additional questions pertaining to CE, please feel free to post them in the forum!

Best,
Zach

Hi Zach,

Thanks for the update. Apple advertises no change to run iOS apps on MacOS with Apple Silicon since they use the same processor, GPU, etc. Of course even if that is true there is time involved to test, dev time refine, support of a new platform, etc.

Once iOS version of CE is out of beta it should show up in the app store for Macs as an iPad app unless the devs opt out. Personally CE is the only application I run using VMware Fusion. Hopefully supporting CE on MacOS using Apple Silicon is a much easier path compared to the previous option of porting it to Intel Macs.

Thanks,
Jeremy