CE won’t load onto iPad

After subscribing to CE for my iPad I have been unable tp get the get the charts and updates to install. I get the following messages. Error in update 5. I have attempted the update multiple times. I have unselected the various items that are updated with no success. Each time the progress bar stops about 7/8 of the way to completion. On the settings page in the app it says YOUR DATA UPDATED Today ay 6:10 am. OFFLINE DATA UPDATED Never.

Currently aboard a sailboat in transit and need this app now. Can anyone help me with this?

I suspect that the error you’re getting is “Errors in update: 5”, indicating that there were 5 things that couldn’t be downloaded. Please send us your update log, so we can investigate. Also, since you’re currently in transit, are you using cellular for your update? If so, you may find that downloading that much data, charts especially, etc., is difficult. It’s generally better to download this much data on something like a home/office WiFi prior to leaving. Something to think about in the future.

Here are some instructions for sending us the Log we need:

Click the “Log” button the red arrow is pointing to:

This will display the Log we need. At the top, there is a “Copy” link which will put the log in your iPad’s clipboard, so you can paste it into an email and send it to us. Please send it to support@rosepoint.com.

Also, if you keep trying to sync, it should only attempt to download the five things we were unsuccessful at the first time(s), so sometimes keeping at it will get those things. Something to try while we review your log.

We received your log and can see that there are timeout errors on a few files. We have checked those files, to make sure there isn’t a problem with them, and we are able to download those files without issue. The only thing I can think of that would prevent CE on your iPad from successfully downloading them are connectivity problems with the Internet on your iPad.

We suggest that you pick the area you need for your cruise, keeping in mind that the bigger it is the more there will be to download, then stick to it so it’s not a moving target. Each time CE syncs, it will try to download the files it was unable to download during previous attempts. If you continue to have problems syncing, try again when you get non-mobile Internet. Note that CE will use the files (tiles) it was able to download, but be sure to set your chart type to “Downloaded Vector Charts”, or we’ll try to display the ones streamed over the Internet.

In case it helps, here are the settings our developer used, which is using something close to your larger region. This downloaded in approximately 10 minutes using non-cellular Internet.

OK,
I have reduced the area to nothing any sailor could consider a cruising area. Same symptom, same result.
I have tried several different land based internet providers. Same symptom, same result.

Frustrated? BOY HOWDY !!!

I have the most current ios, 15.1.
I have 18GB of free memory.

Still appears to write no data to my iPad memory.

Is there any settings in the iPad that can be the problem?
Is the install of the app corrupt and need to be deleted and restored? If so, how?
How long does it take to write the data files? The first 7/8 of the bar takes a few minutes and the last 1/8 has been left for hours without any progress.

Any additional thoughts?

I’m not sure if you saw Steven’s last comment where he showed the area we think you might be trying to download, or at least was one of the areas you’ve tried. We tested that area and it took about 10 minutes to download.

We don’t know of any settings that would prevent this from working. However, based on you saying that the first 7/8 takes a few minutes and the last 1/8 never completes, it sounds like most of the chart might be downloading and some other piece is failing. If that is the case, this problem probably has nothing to do with the size of the area, but instead has something to do with the specific area being downloaded.

Can you tell us exactly what area you are trying to download and which layers you have selected (perhaps with a screen shot of the options)? We’ll try exactly the same thing and hope that it fails for us too, then we’ll be able to fix whatever is broken.

Thanks Brad,

Yes, I saw Steven’s area. I tried to download that area. Same failure mode.
I tried a subset of that area. Same failure mode.
I tried that are on 2 more laned based internet providers. Same failure mode.
Failure mode is extremely consistent.

Attached image has the small area I am trying to download today and showes the 7/8 completion status after more than 1 1/2 hours.
Attched image shows the Chart and Data Synchronization.
Attached image shows the iPad storage used for Coastal Explorer.

Regarding your question about which layers I am attempting, today I tried all the layers. At an earlier time I tried them individually with EXCACT SAME failure mode. I even tried deselecting ALL the layers and still had the same failure mode.

David

OK,
I have reduced the area to nothing any sailor could consider a cruising area. Same symptom, same result.
I have tried several different land based internet providers. Same symptom, same result.

Is the install of the app corrupt and need to be deleted and restored? If so, how?
How long does it take to write the data files? The first 7/8 of the bar takes a few minutes and the last 1/8 has been left for hours without any progress.

Any additional thoughts?

OK,

Any additional thoughts?

I’m afraid your pictures didn’t work, so I still can’t tell exactly what area you are trying to download. (EDIT: The pictures just appeared.) But since you tried a subset of the area in Steven’s screen shot it probably doesn’t matter as that area is working for us with all layers selected.

Just so you know, the download is made up of multiple parts. The first part is the bulk of the actual chart data and that is represented by the first big part of the progress indicator. After that comes the other layers you have selected. It really sounds like you have the chart data, and that something else is failing in such a way as to make the progress stop.

The log that you sent us earlier showed multiple attempts at downloading different areas and did include a couple of problems that probably indicated an internet connection issue. However, because it contained multiple areas, and each had different issues, it was hard to figure out exactly what was going wrong.

Could you send us another log after restarting the app and trying an update?

After the pictures appeared, I tried downloading the same area with all of the layers selected and it completed without any problems in about 1 minute. Hopefully we can find something in your log!