Lost charts when trying to use CE

I’ve been using CE on a daily basis. This morning when trying to use the program, there is no chart display. I tried downloading charts, reinstalled the program but still no chart display.

What do you see instead of charts? Is the “background map” appearing, or is the are filled with something else?

If you do see the background map, are you sure that whatever type of chart you want to see is selected (using the Chart > Type menu on the chart panel tools)?

If you don’t see either of those, perhaps you accidentally selected a screen that doesn’t include the chart display? If that’s the case, you can use the Screens browser to select the chart screen.

I see the background map. Raster is selected, as always. Clicking on the screen browser (if that’s the rectangle at the top of the menu) shows nothing.

BTW. I am using windows 10 on a laptop which I have been using for about a year, with no prior problems

Have you checked “Settings > Charts and Add-Ons > NOAA RNC” to make sure that charts you want are installed and have not been hidden? (I realize you said you tried re-installing the charts, but checking here is a way to make sure that actually worked. Plus if any of the charts have a problem, it would be noted on this page.)

NOAA is in the process of discontinuing the raster charts, so it’s possible they have canceled the charts you are hoping to see. If that’s the case, you would see notes to that affect on that NOAA RNC page, and the canceled charts would be hidden. You can show them again be right clicking on the charts in the list and selecting the “Include in quilt” option, but we recommend against using canceled charts as they will never be updated again.

I went to “Settings > Charts and Add-Ons" but there is no “NOAA RNC” entry.

That would indicate that you do not have any NOAA RNC installed, so something must have gone wrong when you re-installed them. I assume you didn’t get any error messages, so I don’t have any idea what could have happened. I can’t even imagine why your charts would’ve disappeared in the first place, unless some other program on your PC messed with your “C:\Charts” folder.

I’m afraid I’m probably not going to be able to help much with this here and you might need to contact one of our support guys on Monday. I’m sure they can figure this out.