Yacht Devices NMEA Routers Do Not Accept NMEA Pre 4.0 NMEA Sentences

CE generates these three, and maybe more, pre NMEA 4.0 spec sentences when a route is activated and these sentences are enabled in the talker options:

$ECBWC,172639,3109.316,N,08130.005,W,200.13,T,206.98,M,0.06,N,*3B

Yacht Devices support says the BWC sentence “Waypoint ID” and “Mode indicator” is missing therefore the sentence is invalid. Those two fields are missing.

$ECWPL,3109.316,N,08130.005,W,*48

Yacht Devices support says the WPL sentence “Waypoint ID” is missing therefore the sentence is invalid. The ID field is missing.

$ECXTE,A,A,0.001,L,N*4E

Yacht Devices support says the XTE sentence “Mode indicator” is missing therefore the sentence is invalid. The indicator field is missing.

The Yacht Devices WiFi N2K router is very nice in that I can easily inject sentences and see what happens. I have confirmed that a value in the waypoint field and a value in the mode indicator is required. Empty fields are not accepted. The Yacht Devices router accepted ‘1’ in the mode indicator field event though ‘1’ is not a valid value for that field.

The issue I have is that the Yacht Devices router will not forward the, invalid to them, sentences to Seatalk. I have Seatalk multi-function devices at the helm and a Raymarine Auto Pilot. I use the BWC and XTE sentence data, to steer or to manually correct the auto pilot.

So, it would be very nice if CE would generate a waypoint (WPNNN) name for sentences that need it when the waypoint is not named and the route is activated. Or generate a waypoint name when the route is created. The name can be changed as easily as it can be added like it can be now.

And add the Mode Indicator field to all NMEA sentences that require it.

John Capo