Blue wheel of Death once every minute

Every minute, exactly, I get a brief Blue Wheel of Death (the busy wheel) on my screen. This is with the latest version of CE running on Win 10 and a NUC. This doesn’t seem detrimental in any way, other than being a distraction. I’m guessing that CE is writing logs or something like that. Anyone know? This system does nothing other than run CE, including whatever background activity Win 10 does. Storage is a PCI SSD, so about as fast as it can get. And plenty of RAM - 8GB I think.

Thoughts?

What CPU is in that Intel NUC?

I am running CE 4 on Win10 with i7 & 16 GB Ram and never get the “please wait while we process your data” blue wheel…

Have you downloaded the Vector Charts to run them off-line? If not, certainly try that to confirm it is not a web connectivity pause.

If you are running on a Celeron CPU, I would bring the NUC up to 16 GB. Suggest you do that even if you have a i5 or i7.

Can you tell me which NUC you have (please)…?

Skipper

Sounds like maybe you might have a very large voyage plan document and auto-save is enabled and set to save every minute.

Here’s the full build up of the NUC

Intel NUC BLKNUC7I5DNKE 2.6Ghz Intel i5, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4 SODIMM 260 pin, Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB, M.2 NVMe

So 16GB, not 8GB as I had recalled.

Very possible on all counts. I’ll check. How big is big for the voyage plan document?

That depends on how fast your storage is, how often you save, and what your tolerance is. Personally I like them to be no more than a couple megabytes and most of mine are much smaller than that.

You can find out if a large file is causing the wait cursor by using the Layers > Save command and seeing how long it takes. If you think it takes too long, then your file is too big.

Hardware config received from Twisted_T;

Intel NUC BLKNUC7I5DNKE 2.6Ghz Intel i5, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4 SODIMM 260 pin, Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB, M.2 NVMe

So 16GB, not 8GB as I had recalled.

Skipper responds;

With that system build you would have virtually zero wait states imposed by the CPU, RAM or M.2 SSD storage system

Unless your O/S is trying to download Windows Updates (possibly Win11 Update, if you haven’t done the registry hack to block it)… or if your system is severely impacted by Spyware…. (try running SuperAnti-Spyware to clean it)… then I would follow Brad’s suggestion (above) to tweak CE4 settings as he prescribed.

Let us know what worked…

TT: I wonder if this may be due to being online and perhaps related to pauses in internet connectivity while travelling, i.e, minor outages? I’ve not hat this with my NUC, but mind you I’m always off-line when travelling.

Jim

Brad nailed it. I had autosave set for 1 min, and my NOB file is 11MB. I changed the interval to 5 min. I guess I’m still a tiny bit surprised that writing an 11MB file isn’t more transparent on a machine with 16GB of RAM and a fast SSD. But as I said in the beginning, it’s not really of any consequence, and is just more of a curiosity.