Layers, WTF?backing up

I’m here, using layers, but I don’t know where my data is. It’s just not clear how layers relate
to nob files, what happens when layers are hidden. Add to that, Cloud layers - which data is moved
there? just “clloud layer” or the nob? and why should I care?

I keep my .nob backed up locally on my own cloud. I have no idea whats going
on at CE,nor do i understand which objects are stored where, nor do I trust them
as a backup store./ config

Sooooo…

Is all my stufff in the nob? Are ‘layers’ in my nob?

Bottomline, how do I back up my stuff?

I know, short of an image backup, I have to manually rebuild all the electronics.

WTF is not stored in a config file?

I like CE, but it’s becoming un manageable.

There are two types of layers: “.nob” files, and cloud-synchronized.

If you put your data in a “.nob” file layer, then it is stored in that “.nob” file. You may back these files up however you want. This is exactly how Coastal Explorer has worked for twenty years.

If you put your data in a cloud-synchronized layer, then it is stored on our servers as well as on each of your devices that run Coastal Explorer. Since these files are “stored in the cloud” as well as on each of your Coastal Explorer devices, there is less of a need to back them up, and in fact doing so is not supported.

When you show a layer, the items in that layer appear on the chart. When you hide a layer, the items in that layer do not appear. It’s as simple as that. Nothing else “happens”.

In fact, if you ignore the visibility switches, and don’t use cloud-synchronized layers, then selecting a layer from the list on the Layers page is EXACTLY the same as opening that “.nob” file always been. Selecting a different layer will close the previous “.nob” file and open the one for the new layer, just like the Open File command has always done.

If you then turn on one of the visibility switches, you get to see the items from two “.nob” files. This is a new feature that allows you to better organize your items and have finer control over how much of your data appears on the chart. But there’s no “magic” here; Coastal Explorer is just letting you open more than one “.nob” file at a time. The only difference between the “current layer” and an otherwise visible layer, is that items that you create will always be stored in the “current layer” (but you can move them to a different layer if you want).

Cloud-synchronized layers provide a way to automatically copy the items they contain to your other PC’s, phones, tablets, etc. They do require internet access to perform that synchronization, but after synchronization their items are available even when offline. Many people use OneDrive, DropBox, or some other cloud-storage system to synchronize their “.nob” files, but that has the drawback of always synchronizing an entire “.nob” file. That means that if you change a route on one device and a different route on another device, one of those changes will be lost when the two devices are synchronized. Our cloud-synchronized layers work on an item-by-item bases so you can make changes to different items with different devices and not lose anything.

As I tried to make clear in this topic, both the ability to use multiple Layers and Cloud-Synchronized Layers are completely additive. If you don’t see the value in the new features, then you don’t need to use them and Coastal Explorer will continue to work exactly as it always has.

1 Like

Brad

Thank you soooo much for this excellent detailed description of the enhanced features integrated in using CE Cloud Services. Your team has done an exceptional job solving the problem of showing data real-time among multiple ship-board devices…

Keep up the great work…!

Skipper

I am sure that I am an idiot, but I cannot seem to create a new layer. Do you know of any reason my New Layer button would not work?

Terry,

I am aboard Bob’s Morgan 1-Ton “Gingy” and have tried to create a new layer using the latest version of CE 4.0. I made sure that OneDrive was enabled, with his account properly logged in OneDrive…

No Dice… I am also not able to create a new layer.

It would be nice if a Guru at Rosepoint could reply to this thread…

Skipper0326

I am glad to hear it is not just me.
Terry

Terry

Even old-timers have “moments”… (M=FxD)

1. The device was not properly logged into Rosepoint…

2. It took exiting CE 4.0, then deleting the local Data file… then restarting the program, to be able to setup new layers using Rosepoint’s new, beautiful cloud-sync’ing solution.

After doing that on the PC, the new route showed up on the tablet.

We had a tougher problem to solve than that;

Many users have moved .gpx files via micro SD-Ram card to import to chart plotter. In the case of Gingy, Bob mounted his Garmin 943XS GPSMap chart plotter in a NAVPod. The newer touchscreen chart plotters now have the micro sd-ram cards installed from the back of the device… rendering them inaccessible if device is mounted in a pod.

The workaround we found was to sync route to tablet, then export gpx file locally… then import file into Active Captain on the tablet, to sync with the chart plotter.

It is a work-around, but not as clunky as exporting gpx file on laptop, e-mailing it, pulling it down on the tablet, then doing the Active Captain import / sync routine.

One step up from sneaker-net, when one is running files on floppy disks (or Micro SD-Ram cards)…

Skipper :sunglasses:

It looks like you’re using the app rather than the PC version. Are you sure you’re signed into your account? If not, there’ll be no cloud account to associate a layer with.

For everyone that’s having trouble understanding layers:

1. Be sure you’ve watched the video on managing layers: Managing Layers
  2. Read Brad’s post earlier in this forum thread.

If you still don’t understand, and you’re using the PC version, call our support department and we’ll explain further. 425-605-0985

I was just reminded that there’s no “New Layer” button if you’re not signed in. :wink:

We can see that you have created layers, so have you resolved this problem?

Stevenh,

I didn’t mean to hijack Terry’s thread, but we both had a similar problem.

In the case of s/v Gingy (wolfie1bob) we are using both PC version and Android tablet.

Yes, we have layers working correctly, sync’ing between the 2 devices via the Rosepoint cloud.

It’s just an awkward shame their isn’t an easier (better) way to get the route info in to the Chartplotter than using Active Captain to pony the .gpx file from tablet to the Garmin GPSMap device.

Thank you…!