Network Port / NMEA 0183 Data Server Feature

Will the completed iPad version have the ability to configure the NMEA 0183 Data Server / Connect to my Comar WiFi that I used between my PCs on board? Looks like right now one must use the Rosepoint NEMO? Thanks in advance, Dan

3 Likes

We are considering that, but for now only our Nemo Gateway is supported.

1 Like

Please consider adding the option to connect to TCP/UDP NMEA 0183 servers over wifi (like CE desktop can)! I have zero interesting in swapping out perfectly working parts of our (Navico) electronics that other marine apps seem to be able to use. This would likely keep me from seriously using the CE app as I donā€™t need another gateway.

1 Like

As discussed by davidjade, I have a Vesper AIS providing WiFidata to a number of devices (including a PC) and am not interested in the App until that device is supported.

2 Likes

Brad - thanks for the response. I understand that this is a ā€˜business decisionā€™ but from my perspective I think it very important to have that functionality of a network connection as in the PC version or I would not be using the iOS version. Similar to others, I have an existing WiFi network and pass my AIS / NMEA -183 to other devices. If the NEMO is required to have that functionality in iOS, then I wouldnā€™t use it as I canā€™t justify the expense for it. Regards, Dan

Just getting started with MS windows based Coastal Explorer on a 2005 sailing vessel. It is intended as a backup electronic chart display and information display system for Raymarine ECDIS with basic NEMA 0183 sensors and 0183 autopilot, and new NEMA 2000 multifunction display, wireless doppler radar and AIS.

I use a Yacht Devices NEMA 2000 wireless gateway YDWG-02 (Raymarine interface) for wireless access to NEMA 0183 and 2000 network data on windows computer, iPhone, and iPad. After a short period of use I can report that the windows based CE works great! Another common ECDIS works ok on the iPad and iPhone.

The iPhone/iPad version of CE is exciting because of CEā€™s advanced features and its potential portability all over the vessel.

Absent support for network devices other than the Nemo interface I will be limited in regards to real time underway testing of the CE iPhone/iPad beta.

I will report my beta findings such as they are and will stand by for a beta version which provides recognition of NEMA data access devices in a manner similar to the windows version of CE.

Heading off late April to cruise BC and SE Alaska. Hope that the enhancement is soon forthcoming. Thanks!

3 Likes

+1 The iPad version is pretty useless to me without being able to connect to my existing data servers over wifi.

I agree with tonychor and hope that Rose Point reconsiders and includes the same capability as the PC version and not require Nemo. Thanks, Dan

Hi guysā€¦

I donā€™t think it is fair to demand that a new piece of code supports all 3rd party NMEA Gateways out there (yet). I feel the pain, having to tear out an ActiSense USB Gatewayā€¦ so I can feed my NMEA Bus Data to both wire and wireless compute devices. Boat is 35 years old, so I am past the point of 0183 comm interoperability, except my ActiSense Gateway is also a firewall - which prohibits uploaded .GPX route data directly to chart plotter. Workaround was doing export over Garmin USB-to-0183 data cable, hard wired from Nav PC into the chart plotter. So I imagine that Mr. Nemo might allow ā€œUploadā€ feature to work in CE 4.0 (over wired and/or wireless) and pray the same feature-set works on the iOS build. Yup, the Upgrade CO$T will hurtā€¦ but not as much as trying to light up an old Yanmar 3GMF20 with digital sensors to feed that precious data into the 2000 Bus.

Engine Tach, Engine Temp, Oil Pressure, Alternator Output, Battery Monitoring, Solar Panel Output, Fuel / Water & Holding Tank Sensors, Bilge Pump Sensors, not to mention that new Rosepoint Low Beer Sensor in the Shipā€™s Fridgeā€¦

Lions, Tigers and Bearsā€¦ Oh Myā€¦!

Itā€™s not the Actisense USB Gateway itself that is preventing GPX files from being sent to a chart plotter. Neither NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 can handle transferring a GPX file. NMEA 0183 provides a way to describe waypoints and routes, but does not really provide a standard way to send one to a chart plotter in a meaningful way and most manufacturers donā€™t implement it anyway. NMEA 2000 provides a way to ask a device, such as a chart plotter about its collection of routes, but it does not provide a way to send a route to a chart plotter; you would have to have the chart plotter ask Coastal Explorer for a route. But I donā€™t think anyone has implemented that either. Iā€™m afraid the Nemo Gateway is not going to help transfer routes either, because the problem is really with the chart plotters and the NMEA protocols so thereā€™s nothing any gateway can really do/

Build 49 supports both TCP and UDP network ports so 3rd party gateways and other NMEA 0183 WiFi devices can now be used with Coastal Explorer!

2 Likes

Brad - this is great. I tested over weekend and it worked smoothly. Thanks very much for including this functionality with the iOS version. Regards, Dan

Thanks a ton! I just set it up on my boat with iPad and iPhone, and it seems to work great. Awesome!

Just setup build 49 for NEMA 0183 data on iPhone X using both TCP and UDP access to Yacht Devices YDWG-02 wifi access device. The setup was extremely easy. Just accessed the YD wireless network and used IPAddress and Port number for TCP server access. The UDP server only required the Port number. It was identical to the setup info on a Windows tablet running CE.

Boat is at dock right now, but plan to be out in a few days. Initial assessment of NEMA messages and chart display looks correct.

CE AIS displayed data is accurate as compared to Raymarine charts.

Great work Rosepoint.

Build 49: Ok, I have TCP working using my AMEC Widelink B600W AIS unit. However, it seems I have to keep location Services on in order to get Heading. I thought this would come in from the AIS-WiFi and not the iPad. There are other data fields with missing numbers so not sure if the AIS-WiFi is going to cut it. My networking skills are not exactly the best so maybe itā€™s something I need to do on the AIS WiFi side. What further benefit do I get from adding a router to Nemo and dropping WiFi from the AIS?

If Coastal Explorer receives a heading from the AIS unit, it should use it.

Have you looked at the sentences that Coastal Explorer is receiving on that port? The heading could be in any of several sentences: THS, HDT, HDG, or VHW. If you see one of those sentences, and it appears to have a valid heading value, then send us a screen shot containing that sentence and weā€™ll figure out why itā€™s not being used.

If you donā€™t see one of those sentences, then there might be something in the AMEC configuration that will let you adjust what sentences it outputs. Enable any of those sentences, and Coastal Explorer should use it.

I donā€™t know much about the AMEC unit you have, but I do know that it translates some NMEA 0183 data into NMEA 0183 before sending it over the network (it has to since thereā€™s no standard way to send NMEA 2000 data yet). Not all NMEA 2000 data has an NMEA 0183 equivalent, so itā€™s possible that not all of the data from your NMEA 2000 network is getting sent to Wi-Fi connected devices. Whether or not thatā€™s an issue depends on what sort of NMEA 2000 devices you have and whether or not you want that data in Coastal Explorer.

Coastal Explorer gets and uses untranslated NMEA 2000 data from the Nemo Gateway using our own protocol, so it has access to everything that your NMEA 2000 network has to offer rather than being limited to things that have an NMEA 0183 equivalent.

Most NMEA gateway devices, including the AMEC, will multiplex the data from all of their ā€˜listenerā€™ ports and the converted NMEA 2000 data into a single stream of NMEA 0183 data. If you have two of the same type of device (e.g. two GPS receivers), then the information from both of them get intermixed and Coastal Explorer (or other clients of the data) canā€™t tell which device the data is coming from.

The Nemo Gateway does not multiplex all of the data together, but rather delivers in a way that Coastal Explorer can tell which NMEA 0183 port a sentence is coming from. This allows Coastal Explorer to give you the option of selecting a specific GPS (or heading sensor, or depth sounder) to use, or to assign priorities so that it always uses the best one that is working at any given time.

Another advantage to the Nemo Gateway is that Coastal Explorer can send information to the NMEA 2000 network or either of the NMEA 0183 ā€˜talkerā€™ ports. This allows Coastal Explorer to provide route information to an autopilot.

2 Likes

Hi harmoni,
I just installed iCE on my iPad and I have the same Wi-Fi-gw as you. Everything seems to work except for controlling the autopilot. Have you tried to do that?
I have looked at the data arriving to iCE and it looks like there is no data for the autopilot. I am sending nmea0183 over TCP. If I look at the iCE tcp configuration in iCE it is only receiving, not transmitting.
To check my Wi-Fi gw configuration I have used it together with Windows CE and oCPN and I can see that data has been received by the autopilot but I canā€™t start TRACK (Raymarine Evolution).

My conclusion is that autopilot nmea0183 control isnā€™t working yet.
Do you or anybody else agree?

NMEA 0183 output is only available via the Nemo Gateway at this time.

1 Like